For a portion of her life, Susan Bence wore only one hearing aid, but after the birth of her third child, her hearing loss increased significantly. Needing to be able to hear to find work, Susan sought help. The assistance of two organizations paired with her enduring tenacity made all the difference.
After calling several places, Susan discovered the Florida Department of Education. She was directed to Vocational Rehabilitation (VR). They understood she would need a second hearing aid to be able to work and offered to help.
“Jacksonville Speech & Hearing Center was willing to accept the Vocational Rehabilitation insurance payment,” said Susan “And even better, I was treated by audiologist Fenja Mattson She’s wonderful.” Mattson, a long-time audiologist at Speech & Hearing Center, also suffers from hearing loss and wears hearing aids.
“She goes above and beyond,” explained Susan. “She was so encouraging and she kept saying that we were going to be able to make it happen so I could hear and get a job. Jacksonville Speech & Hearing Center is a really a comforting place to go.”
Armed with new hearing aids, Susan now works for One Call Care Management. “This experience has made me want to be closer to the deaf community and help others who need assistance,” she adds.
Finding a Solution to Hearing Loss
About Florida’s Vocational Rehabilitation Program
Florida’s Vocational Rehabilitation program is committed to helping people with disabilities become part of America’s workforce. Our employer-focused website, FLJobConnections.com, allows businesses to search at no charge for employees who are ready to go to work, as well as to post available jobs. VR has 111 offices across Florida, and last year helped 6,071 Floridians with significant disabilities find or keep a job. For more information about VR and its services, call (800) 451-4327 or visit link: rehabworks.org.
About Hearing Aids at Jacksonville Speech & Hearing Center
Services offered at The Jacksonville Speech & Hearing Center include:
- Hearing Aid Evaluations
- Hearing Aid Sales & Service
- Hearing Aid Orientations
- Hearing Aid Checks
- Hearing Aid Repairs
- In/Out of Warranty Service & Repairs
- A variety of hearing aid manufacturers, with attention to the latest research and performance studies for the style of hearing aid best suited for each individual’s hearing loss.
- Detailed information about all amplification options is provided to improve quality of life through better hearing
- Hearing aid fittings include periodic adjustments and programming, verification testing, and hands-on support to ensure maximum benefit from amplification.
- All hearing aids have a 30-day trial period.
- All hearing aids come with full warranty coverage.
- Repair services include minor in-office and send out manufacturer-based options.
- We also offer custom fit noise protection, waterproof ear molds, IPOD ear molds, and can order a wide variety of other assistive listening devices.
Our audiologists will select the best style of hearing aid for the specific hearing loss you have, keeping in mind any cosmetic and lifestyle concerns you may have. What goes inside the hearing aid is also very important in the selection of the hearing aid. The audiologist can choose the most appropriate amplifier and circuitry for your particular hearing aid needs. Click to learn more on our website.